Spectrum Special Edition

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Mark A Fisher

Fond Memory

I remember those times so long ago 
for those distant summer days I have yearned
the moments piled like cord wood to be burned
but that pile is nearly now all gone though
yet still I’m warmed by the embers’ glow
each and every year’s lessons I’ve learned
each and every ache I’ve duly earned
but so much lost I’ll never really know

but it’s all for the better or the worse 
just a mere pebble dropped within a pond
for when I will finally pass beyond 
and all that is left of me is my verse
I hope there will be some still to respond
and I’ll be a memory of which they’re fond


Death Valley

from the snow atop telescope peak
down to salty badwater basin
and the shining pupfish in salt creek
all this harsh beauty does us chasten

this landscape so bleak is a haven
all up and down the sandy washes
for the coyotes snakes and raven
wandering about the rocky bajadas 

in the spring tiny wildflowers blossom
unnoticed amongst the sand and saline
and gone again by the autumn
to wait once more for the winter rain

this desert is forever patient
waiting for our homes to be vacant


Though she be but little, she is fierce. William Shakespeare

Oh Greta!

Oh young Greta so angry and so fierce
you would not choose to be that army’s face
but through all the false arguments you pierce 
and you do besiege the billionaire base

I wish that you could to go home to stay 
No Dauphin needing you to help sell ads
dishonestly the future they betray
‘cause it brings them in money in great scads

I know an old man that you have brought hope
though he will never live to see that world
p’raps he will stop being a misanthrope 
and maybe a new flag of peace unfurled 

Oh Greta! Through the anger hold the dream
and hold to hope that it we shall redeem

No comments:

Post a Comment